Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Brake Fluid....

All over the ground, right where it should not be. OK maybe not all over. Really only about 2 ounces. But enough to convince me that I had no desire to continue the brake job.

1997 Honda Accord. I have done a lot of work on vehicles in my life. I have saved a lot of money. I like to save money on care repairs, so I can spend it on food, and bikes, and vacation. Spend it on fun stuff. So, I jacked the back of the car up. I told Jubal I couldn't play tonight. I got out all of my tools, took the tire off, wrestled with the drum to get it off. Got the drum off. Started loosening things in the brake mechanism to get the brake shoes off. Then all of a sudden, one side of the brake cylinder pops off!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!. That means that I will have to bleed the brakes. Not too difficult, just a pain. It is 8:30pm. I have been doing this for 1 hour now, and have basically made not progress.

I jump in the truck and get over to Advance Auto Parts. I buy a brake bleeder kit and a large bottle of brake fluid. I probably only need the small bottle, but if I buy the small bottle, then I will need the large bottle.

I get back to the house, bummed because I am going to have to pay someone to do this brake job, unless I want to stay up until 2am doing it myself. $250 is what I was quoted by my new favorite shop. Lame.

I get the brake bled with my lovely Rhonda's help. But the drum back on, and the tire. Put my mess of tools away.

The good news is that I found another shop that will do the work for $120 plus tax. Sweet.


My ride this morning was nice. It was 32 degrees but the sun is actually starting to feel warm. I love that feeling.

Have a great day.

No comments: