Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cutting Grass,


I got my lawnmower back today. The repairman had some trouble starting it. I hope it works. He gave me a 90 day guarantee. That's cool. I hope it works. So, tonight I will be doing some "cross training" ( cutting grass).


Yesterday I made a big decision. I decided to step down from officiating the local track races. I can't believe what a huge sense of relief that I feel after making this decision. It is something I have struggled with for a while.


It all started two years ago. I decided that I wanted to help promote the sport of cycling here in Asheville. I was not mtn biking then. I signed up to volunteer on Tuesday nights to help with the fixed gear track races. The first year went well. I then decided to take an officials training course and get certified with USA Cyling. I would be a bottom rung official who could officiate local races, and if desired could eventually work up to bigger races such as the Tour de Georgia. Pretty cool. Then I got into mtn biking, and started racing. Then Jubal got older. Along with that, I realised that I did not enjoy officiating. I decided to stick with it though in an effort to continue to promote cycling.


This year has seen a lot of changes. The track community has grown, the promoter has changed, they are now running races under a new organization which does not require a USA cycling official for local races. All changes for the better. And all the changes provided me with a way to step down without leaving the program in a lurch.


So, I did it. I resigned. And I feel good. More time to spend with the family. Rhonda even said she would like to see me race at the track. Sweet.

Jimmy Holcomb: ( far left)

Sometimes, the right decision is a difficult decision, but when it is made, feels so right!! I remember the advice given to me by Jimmy Holcomb several years ago. The comment he made, caused a turning point in my life. Helped me take control, and not be manipulated by the situation that I had been caught up in.

He said" Stephen, just make a decision, then do it".



Have a great day.

No comments: