Friday, March 28, 2008

Just Cruising

Last night I rode at Bent Creek. I hooked up with Amy and Christy. They are training for the Cohutta 35 and asked me to help them out with their training. Their main goal is to finish. Amy has been riding bikes for a couple of years now, mainly road, and has picked up mtn biking within the past year. Christy has just started mtn biking in the past 4 months. So, this is a daunting challenge for both of them. At one point we got passed by Thomas, a Bio-Wheels rider. We chatted some and he ended up joining us for the rest of the ride. We cruised around, getting 16 miles in 2 hours, not including brief stops. Amy's cell phone rang once, and we are pretty sure that everyone in the valley looked our direction, due to the high pitched piercing ring. I was really excited about how well they are riding, and I think that they will definitely finish well.

Two things of note on today's commute. The first reminded me that I need to put some toilet paper in my messenger bag and also reminded me why I love living and riding in the country with lots of wooded areas.
The second gave me a clue as to how the early explorers must have felt, after making friendly contact with the inhabitants of the land. At one point in my ride, I take a left turn at a traffic light, ride over a bridge and take a right turn. This morning I was behind a pickup truck, a pickup truck was behind me and behind that was a full sized dump truck. Not wanting to hold the dump truck up, when the light turned green, I pulled through the left turn, then sat up and waved the two truck past. After the dump truck passed me, I waved to the driver who was courteous enough to look in his mirror to see where I was, and then the most amazing thing happened: The driver waved back. Amazing!!


Have a great day.

No comments: